Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Three Reasons You Should Put Yourself First

A little over a year ago, I grew weary of my procrastination and my stagnant pace in life. I came to a place where I was ready to put myself first in two different ways.

One... I wanted to get physically fit.

Two... I wanted to get my financial life in order.

I was only able to accomplish these two things after I created a vision. I went out and bought a cork board and on a sheet of paper I wrote down what I intended to accomplish within one year. I hung the cork board in a place I would see it everyday. Within that year, I accomplished 90 percent of my goals. For ten months, my diet consisted mostly of chicken, salmon, vegetables, and some fruit. I consumed less of Papa John's Cinnapies (it's funny for those who know me well) and began working out.  The result... I lost 30lbs. During those ten months, I learned about eating healthy and had a regular workout routine. Not to toot my horn too much, but I also just completed one month of CrossFit! As far as my financial goal, I tracked my income and my spending which enabled me to have savings and pay off debt.  I learned to say no and put myself first. During those ten months of change, many of my friends thought I no longer wanted to hang out with them, but that wasn't the case at all. I just simply couldn't keep doing what I was doing and expect a different result.

Here are three reasons why I find it important to put myself first... 

It keeps your cup full
How many times have you beaten yourself up for not accomplishing all your tasks? How many times have you wished you had not gone out with your friends so you could get up early and take care of your business? How many times have you wished you would've just said, "No, thanks." Putting yourself first allows you to keep your cup full and achieve your goals. Spiritual teacher, Iyanla Vanzant, once said, "What's in the cup is for you. What runs out of the cup is for everyone else." Keep your cup full so you can be an effective person of service in the world.

You empower yourself
Putting yourself first empowers you. When you start to put yourself first and say, "no" to things that don't contribute to your success and begin saying "yes" to things which do, you start to see results. When you see that number on the scale get closer to the number you desire, you feel empowered. When you see how much you've saved in one month, you feel like you can conquer the world! Empower yourself by choosing to put yourself first in every situation! As Iyanla Vanzant says, putting yourself first is not selfish... it's self full.

It will strengthen your relationships
When your cup is full and you feel empowered, it allows you to give your best in all things, including relationships. Because I chose to care for myself, I became able to care for others. Last year, I had to write a paper which required me to visit a Buddhist Temple. When I visited the Temple, I participated in the meditation session. I had never meditated nor had I been to a Buddhist Temple. To keep this story short, it was a beautiful experience. During the meditation, the monk kept repeating, "Love and kindness to yourself. Love and kindness to your mother and father. Love and kindness to your siblings. Love and kindness to all living things." It starts with love and kindness to yourself. Once you are full of love for yourself, you're able to share the abundance of love with others. Remember, it begins with YOU!

  Put yourself first. It is the best thing you can do.

Be kind to yourself and others. 

Be love,
Azariah Southworth

1 comment:

  1. Azzie, you are on your way to 'bigger' things, because you have learned one of life's hardest lessons: Being confident enough to put yourself before others without creating selfishness.
    Also, we miss you!